Friday, April 2, 2010

Kingdom Assignment day 45 Half Way Point!

Wow! At times it has seemed that time on my Kingdom Assignment project has really been dragging, but at times it has seemed to whiz by too. A lot has happened since my last posting though.

First a shout-out to my eldest who is going to Mexico for spring break to build houses with the youth group through Amor ministries. He's on his very own Kingdom Assignment. I'm so proud of him!


We packed his suitcase this morning before beginning school because we were all so preoccupied with thoughts of the trip! I thought it best to get things sorted out and packed up so that we could continue on with our day. He'll be gone for a full week. I know he is going to have wonderful stories to tell when he returns. Secretly, I'm wondering if the Latin he's been studying will come in handy with figuring out Spanish! I did send along an English/Spanish dictionary! Via con Dios my son!

Now for a little update on my Kingdom Assignment. Since last I posted I've been down to the school to volunteer for a morning and had at least two meetings with my other friends who are also doing Kingdom Assignments. Just being able to meet with these gals and pray together has been so helpful! We have been able to share concerns and doubts and take them to the Lord together.

From the beginning of this challenge I've felt that I needed to do something close to my heart; something that I can be passionate about. Having seen the examples of other assignments, I wanted to do something big! Pairing a desire to choose something I feel to be in my gift mix with an opportunity to volunteer at the city academy, I felt I was on the right track.

When I went into the city I was filled with anticipation and a little bit of dread. Would this turn out the way I was hoping it would? Would I be able to see how my idea could come to fruition in the way I wanted it to? Little did I know what I was in for.

It was a morning of joy in serving the children at the academy. But, it was obvious that my project was just that, my idea which did not fit the needs of the academy. I enjoyed the day very much and can see the good that comes to the kids at the academy as the volunteers spend time with them.

Remember though, that I had thought that I could gather art supplies for a school which had none, that I might go and volunteer my time to help the kids with art. One of the things I needed to do was come up with a list of supplies that would be needed. I was told to go to the basement store room and see what I could find there. I knew this was just what I was looking for! Imagine my feelings when I saw the shelves filled to overflowing with watercolors, watercolor paper, construction paper, glue, paintbrushes, colored pencils, crayons, scissors, and most everything needed for a basic elementary age art program. I was told, "we get so much stuff donated to us that I almost don't know where to put it all!"

How wonderful!! Really! But, now you see, my idea is one that really doesn't fit the situation. Oh, I can see how I can further volunteer my time at the academy. What I had in mind though, is not what the school needs right now.

So, I've resolved that I will volunteer at the academy again; and I will most likely do so in some kind of art vein. I know that once their new building is built I will go and help move them in and hopefully organize supplies along the way to the shelves!

For now, it seems that I'm back to square one! I'll post more later....stay tuned!

No comments: