Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kingdom Assignment Progress on Day 2

What is power? Is it electricity? Is it a position of authority? Is it simply the ability to accomplish a task? Where does power come from?

What if I told you that I know the answer to this? I do! The power I know about is from Jesus, given to those who have accepted Him as not only Savior, but Lord of their lives. It can not be understood by those who do not know Jesus. It is not electricity, it is not authority, it is not success, it can not be achieved.

Power is found in God's word. Those who are true believers are given access to the very power of God Himself through the Holy Spirit! When Jesus was giving his last instructions to his disciples he told them that after he was gone they would have the power to do even greater things than he did. He would give them his very spirit, the Holy Spirit to be their comfort, guide, counselor, and teacher who would remain with them forever. It would be through his Holy Spirit that the disciples would do great things. They would share the love of Jesus to the ends of the world, they would teach the words of Jesus to many people. They would fulfill the great commission given to them by Jesus. The power they needed to do much more than Jesus did was given to them freely by Jesus. However, it would require of them a much deeper union with Jesus than they had ever known.

Today, anyone who has accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord of their life is given the Holy Spirit. When we have accepted Jesus in this way, we too are given the same power that the disciples were given.

The thing is, although we are given the power of the Holy Spirit, something is required of us. We are given the Spirit so that we can be empowered to live the life that God has intended for us to live as His agents of change upon the earth. But to utilize this power, we must be in prayer. We are to use the Holy Spirit's power to do God's work. It requires prayer to know God's heart for me and to know how He would have me use His power. I can only know His will as I grow deeper in Him. I grow deeper in Him through conversation with Him in prayer. How can I have a relationship with Him if I don't talk with and to Him as often as possible?

I grow deeper still when I live in complete obedience to His commands found in His word, the scriptures in the Bible.

I can only be completely obedient to Him through the power of the Holy Spirit. It is a circle!

God has asked me to do something big for Him with this Kingdom Assignment. I'm pretty sure that I can't figure it out on my own! I have no idea what I'm to do. The only way I'm going to find out is if I ask for His guidance. I need His great power to accomplish this! If I am to be His agent, I need to live completely by His commands. That means that I need to be daily reading and studying His word. Then, praise God! I can rely on the Holy Spirit's great help.

Interestingly, while all true believers receive the Holy Spirit, He is given to each believer in a unique and specifically tailored way. How cool is that?! Because God made me, He knows where my weaknesses are and how I need the Holy Spirit. So, rather than just giving me some sort of vague power for good...God gives me His Holy Spirit who also knows me AND knows God's plan for me as well as how to accomplish God's will in my life while building His Kingdom.

By giving the Holy Spirit to true believers Jesus has basically given unlimited resources! How will I use God's resources today?

So, I'm praying that I will be truly empowered by the Holy Spirit for this Kingdom Assignment. I'm seeking His power through prayer, asking for His help to be completely obedient to all God's commands, and depending upon His Spirit to guide me as well as empower me.

What is your prayer today?

No comments: