Wednesday, January 27, 2010

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go


This hymn popped into my head the other day. I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to. But sometimes I wonder! Anyway, I love this one because it is a hymn of surrender. I need all the help I can get when it comes to surrendering to God.

Through this hymn I remember a few things:
  • Only through Christ do I find true rest
  • when I surrender to Him, I find myself living a richer, fuller life
  • my little tiny light is just that in contrast to the ultimate light of Christ, but when I yield myself to Him, I can become that much brighter
Here are the words by George Matheson, written in 1882.

O Love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee;
I give thee back the life I owe, that in thine ocean depths its flow may richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way, I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray, that in thy sunshine's glow its day may brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain that morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head, I dare not ask to hide from thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead, and from the ground there blossoms red life that shall endless be.


No comments: