Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back To School

We started back to school here yesterday. I think everyone was actually excited to get going again. DS is now a Freshman while DD is a fifth grader. I am looking forward to new things this year, especially as we journey the High School road.
One of the new things we are doing this year is taking 30 minutes each school day to do some guided journaling. I thought I'd play along with my students so that I would have something to share on my blog.
For today's assignment we are supposed to write a letter to a person from History who is no longer alive. We had fun talking about who we thought would be worth a letter. We also talked about using a person who was truly historical, or just someone we had known who had died. DD said she was going to write to Jesus; then said, "But, you know, He's not really dead." DS is writing to Thomas Jefferson. I'm writing to my Grandma Gladys.

Dear Grandma G,
How are you anyway!? What is it like in Heaven? Were you glad when grandpa finally joined you? I'm guessing that you are enjoying lots of fun things in heaven, like eating homemade bread and custard whenever you want it, or singing just like an angel! Then there is the constant Holy presence of God and His son, Jesus. That must be awesomely amazing! Someday I'll be there too.
For now, I thought you might be interested to know that since you've been gone, I've gotten old myself! Last year was my big 4 OH birthday. It was a big celebration in Liberty with many friends, good food and fabulous music, all arranged by my wonderful husband of 17 years. I felt like a movie star that night. This year I've just added a one to my years...it sort of felt anti-climactic after last year. I keep plugging away every day.
Your great-grandson just turned 14 last weekend. See, I told you I've gotten old! I was 13 when you left, which was just yesterday...so surely I don't really have a 14 year old myself! Ah, but I do. You also have a soon to be 10 year old grand-daughter. Both of them are kids to be proud of. Not only do they do their best in school and other things, they both love the Lord and have asked Him to be their Lord and Savior. They are really good friends to each other as well.
I "retired" from teaching Public Speaking when I turned 30, and have been a stay-at-home mom since then. It is the most rewarding job ever! Really! Each day we have school at home, learning new things together. What a joy.
Speaking of school at home, it is time for me to wrap this up so that I can get back to teaching. Before I go I wanted to let you know how much I love you. You were always there to listen to me when I needed to be heard. I loved playing games with you even if you tried to bend the rules a little bit just for fun! Thank you for helping me become the woman I am today. Thanks too for all the things you taught my mom who also helped me become me!
Love you!! Give all the people up there that I know a really big hug and tell them I love them and look forward to one day joining in the singing with them.

No comments: